Flashlights unreliable in the datacenter?

I just came across this excellent writeup on the problem, which is huge and getting worse fast:

Read the comments there.

This is something we should be checking in reviewing any LED — just hold it near an AM radio and go through the modes and listen for noise.

In general, a lot of the solution is to use millimeter band short range communication, especially the 60 GHz band that is absorbed quickly by air, so it only interferes close to the source.
For flashlights, it is fortunate that the same materials that dissipate heat well also shield in the electromagnetic noise. Maybe that is why I have not seen FCC compliance stickers on flashlights, as on other products. Interference is the main reason that the US Federal Communications Commission and similar agencies in other countries exist. Of course when compliance stickers appear, the ones on lights with LatticeBright LEDs will be fake too.

For all we know all those missing lumens in latticebright chips is being converted to errant radio waves :smiley:

I've worked in IT since 1999 and never had an issue in any data center, large or small. My favorite light to use was my S20 Baton. Its magnetic base allowed me to stick it to the cabinets to point the light where needed. And no, the magnet never caused an issue with HDDs or any other components. :)

I did think it gone for around 4 months and mourned it deep!y until the day I found it stuck to the bottom of a shelf. That was a happy day!