TP4056-Based DIY Dual Channel Charger. "Poorman's CC/CV" ($3.75)

The symbol resembling an F is Nanjing Top Power Asic’s logo. No idea if that’s the same Nanjing corp that makes AK and 105C drivers, Nanjing is a big city… I’ve no idea whose logo the C found on the chips in L4M4’s link is (indeed 4056ES. Ordered those, hope they’ll work.).

I wonder if anyone actually had problem with a cloned chip?

I had some microusb board with unnamed chips and they had incorrect CC/CV phase, not dangerous for the cell, just slow charge. Current starts dropping when the battery is still 3.95V.

1A charge rate?

Possibly throttling itself back thermally

HKJ put ample heatsinking on his 1A TP4056 board to get it to be able to push full current out w/o getting too hot

This is why I put the 500mA 2.2K resistors on my boards, it reduces output but also ensures a perfect charge pattern (yes it takes about 4-5 hrs to charge a Efest 2000mAh battery from 3~vdc to 4.2vdc (charge light changes to green, stabilize volts of 4.17~ or so)

OK, ordered it on eBay. Hopefully it will be a genuine TP4056. Listing photo shows chip with logo and seller assured me that’s what I will get.
Also bought single 18650 holder and cheap aluminum heatsink with adhesive sticker.

I had an unmarked clone that was not cc/cv and was pushing near 4.3v. Hazardous.

Thermal protection that cuts back current will happen more at the beginning of the cc phase. When battery voltage is lowest and the chip needs to burn off extra input voltage. Cutting back at 3.95v is just a poor attempt at cc/cv. Soft transition. Also HKJ only saw thermal protection with a 4.5 volt input (above normal usb voltage / usb spec).

Honestly, some clone tp4056 chips just suck, maybe all clones.

Here’s how to reduce charging current with a simple resistor mod: Cheap USB LiPo charger notes | Jim's Projects

I've got this board for $1.21 and it works great: https://www.fasttech.com/p/1453504 YMMV

I wonder how many of them are clones, and how many of them are TP4056s that didn’t pass QC.

I am considering buying a few micro usb chargers to use in my projects. Is there a charger board that supports passthrough charging? The ones i have found all mention disconnecting the output before charging.

I received these boards and 4056 chip seems not genuine. markings are laser engraved but there is no “F” logo

No 0.4-Ohm resistor as early boards. These boards have 0-ohm resistor. that 0.4 resistor recommended for external power dissipation specially 1A charge current and fully discharged battery.

LEDs are Red & Blue. there are 10K resistors for leds instead of 1K :~

Conclusion - not recommended to buy

Maybe the clone chip just needed straight 5V connection.

How is the actual charging performance?

I just connect cell to test. will update once tested

i ordered a bunch of these
will post when i get them.going by the pic its the real one.
but i have clones that are fine too…

Thanks for posting your report and the picture.
Yes, those 4065ES chips are clones.

The market seems to now be flooded with clones. The original Nanjing TP4056 chips (with logo) were certainly inexpensive enough but leave it to these chinese companies to make clones anyway and screw up a good thing.

test result:
at stock condition (1.2K/1A) charging current is 930mA
charge termination current is 50mA so its not 1/10C. 1/20C

Pavithra, please translate your results to a “dummy friendly” language 8) Is the board usable?
I received a board exactly same as yours. Although the seller assured me I will receive this:

First thing I see on that is the micro USB is a surface mount w/o the thruhole locking tabs…if you can solder might think about adding a bit of solder to those little feet otherwise they are very fragile and easy to tear off the board.

Definitely looks like a legit TP4056, but what you get from what they show is two totally different critters

Nope, mine’s like Pavithra’s so definitely not legit. Therefore I wonder if it’s any good. The one in photo is what I wanted and what seller promissed me.
Thanks for the tip on micro USB.